Rather than make use of the press law to settle a dispute with Tempo magazine, chief welfare minister Aburizal Bakrie has chosen to file criminal charges against the magazine for allegedly defaming him.
Aburizal, an influential politician and one of the country’s wealthiest people, accused the investigative magazine of “character assassination” by defaming him in a report on the plight of the Bakrie Group’s plummeting shares, published in its Nov. 17-23 edition.
The report described the coordinating minister for the people’s welfare as one of the biggest sponsors of the 2004 presidential campaign of Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono-Jusuf Kalla.
Another offending item was the magazine’s cover, which had the number 666 prominently marked out on the minister’s portrait. The number is considered a negative symbol among certain groups.
“Pak Aburizal insisted on filing a lawsuit against Tempo. Hopefully the report will be filed on Monday next week with the Jakarta Police,” Aburizal’s spokesman Lalu Mara Satriawangsa told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.
The report, which quoted unnamed sources, claimed Aburizal’s huge contributions to the Yudhoyono-Kalla campaign earned him the post of coordinating minister for the economy.
Aburizal was retained in the Cabinet as coordinating minister for the people’s welfare, despite Yudhoyono’s dismissal of several other ministers for their poor performances, it added.
“Probably because of this (funding), Aburizal was only moved from the post of coordinating minister for the economy to that of coordinating minister for the people’s welfare,” the report, “Who cares about Bakrie”, read.
Mara said the report was very unbalanced and breached the press law by spreading “slanderous news” about Aburizal.
He said the minister refused to use options in the press law to settle the case — including having a rebuttal published in Tempo or reporting the case to the Press Council — because the magazine had clashed with Bakrie Group many times in the past.
“It is unbalanced because so many lines are dedicated to making accusations against Pak Aburizal, and only one paragraph for him. Tempo could have requested an interview. It is necessary to report it to police to teach them a lesson,” Mara said.
Tempo chief editor Toriq Hadad dismissed Aburizal’s claims, saying his magazine had followed all journalistic standards in publishing the report.
“What we reported were the facts. We never meant to expose the negative aspects of anyone, including Pak Aburizal. This is just a regular disagreement between the media and a newsmaker. So we should use the press law and the Press Council to settle the case,” he told the Post.
Toriq said a Tempo reporter had submitted a request for an interview with Aburizal, but had received no reply in time for the press deadline.
University of Indonesia legal expert Rudy Satrio said any dispute over press reports should be solved using the press law rather than the Criminal Code.
“(Aburizal) can file a report with the police if he has a legal basis for that,” he said. “But any good police officer will use the press law as the basis for handling this case.”
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook