Thursday, November 20, 2008
New look for old markets: Clean, shiny -- and empty
Suryat had been waiting for customers at his tempe (soybean cake) stall at Cipete market in South Jakarta since 6:00 a.m.
"Only a few customers have come to buy my tempe today, I wonder where the others are," he said over the weekend.
Weekends are normally peak times for market vendors, but not for those at Cipete. Suryat said the market had seen fewer buyers since it was renovated three years ago.
"Of course, many people still come here, but the number is getting smaller day by day. Perhaps they prefer to go to the supermarkets near here," he said.
The middle-aged man has spent almost his entire life as a tempe seller at Cipete. He says he cannot imagine doing anything else.
"I've been here since the market was still small and dirty before the government decided to temporarily close it down for renovation. Now we have a proper clean market to work in," he added.
Cipete market has tile floors and every seller is allocated a table on which to display their merchandise.
However, much to the puzzlement of the traders there, the renovation has not lured more customers, rather the opposite.
"We are now surrounded by two supermarkets," Suryat sighed. "I don't know. Perhaps that's why."
He said he had heard rumors the government would repair the market again, this time to a higher standard. However, he said the rumor was likely false, as the lack of customers would dispel any government incentive to spend more money.
"This market is empty. It is only bustling around the times of big holidays, like the fasting month and Idul Fitri," he said.
Mede market, also in South Jakarta, faces a similar situation. Mede was renovated by city-owned market operator PD Pasar Jaya several years ago.
The market is now clean and comfortable. It has an efficient drainage system and its floors too are tiled.
Even the meat and fish section appears tidy and hygienic.
"Before it was renovated, many people came here. I don't know why only a small number of people come now," Syahro, a meat seller at the market, told the Post.
It has two floors, including a basement, which is home to the vegetable, meat and fish stands.
Most people visit the basement because it is easier to access.
"Many shops on the first and second floors have closed because only a few people come to shop there," said Abdurrahim, a parking attendant.
He believes the city's more modern, cleaner and air-conditioned markets in the area have stolen Mede's customer base.
"You can find modern markets that offer not only fruit and vegetables, but also rice, no more than 50 meters from here," Abdurrahim added.
Although the evidence points to a growing prevalence for modern markets over traditional markets in the city, Pasar is optimistic the traditional market will survive.
"People of the middle to lower-income brackets who cannot afford to go to supermarkets need the traditional markets. Here, if you have no money, you can still get stuff on credit," said Nur Hafid, Pasar's public relations officer.
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook