Colorful bags created by the island's artists are becoming more popular among foreign tourists and domestic consumers here.
And as the demand for these bags increase, producers are becoming more and more innovative with their creations.
The island's artists currently use various raw materials to create these eye-catching products, from water hyacinth fibers (known locally as eceng gondok) and bamboo strips, to fragrant roots and coconut shells.
"The foreigners are usually more interested in products that are made of natural materials, that's why we use natural materials in the production of our bags," Komang Mariani, a local bag producer, said.
Mariani owns a shop in Gianyar that sells and exports the bags. She also runs a small bag factory.
"Foreign markets are still our biggest consumers. Each month we export as many as 3,500 bags to different countries," she said.
Mariani added the biggest markets for the island's bags were Australia, Japan and Italy.
Besides using natural, raw materials, local artists have also explored the use of batik.
"Batik gives a touch of exoticism and uniqueness to the products," she said.
"We need to continuously innovate our line of products to attract market interest."
Continuous innovation, Mariani said, also had a positive impact on the pricing of such products.
Currently, the bags are priced at Rp 45,000 for a batik bag; Rp 50,000 for a coconut-shell bag; Rp 25,000 for a fragrant-root bag; and Rp 100,000 for an intricately woven bag.
Another bag maker, Swasty, agreed that innovation was the key to the future success of her products.
Swasty owns a company that specializes in bags made from pandan and palmyra leaves.
"Each month, my company comes up with five to eight new bag models," she said.
Swasty said her staff got ideas for the new models from three main sources; foreign fashion magazines, observing the current trends and from discussions with her loyal customers.
Swasty's company produces up to 5,000 bags per month. It also produces a large quantity of wallets and fashion accessories.
"The prices of our bags range from between Rp 25,000 to Rp 40,000 per piece," she said.
The trade brings Swasty a monthly net profit of Rp 15 million, and the success of her bag industry has inspired her to establish a community cooperative aimed at assisting local artisans in improving their financial conditions.
The cooperative now runs a workshop in Belega village, Bona.
"Each month we receive a delegation from other region in Indonesia that wants to learn about this industry," she said.
Separately, Mariani said the domestic market had shown an increasing interest in the bags created by Balinese artists.
"Recently, demand from the domestic market has increased. I now receive a regular monthly order of 2,500 bags for the domestic market.
"Perhaps this is a sign that Indonesian people are beginning to appreciate the products made by their own artisans," she said.
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Indonesian govt builds tents for use as emergency schools: Disaster Mitigation Agency
- Indonesian student wins int`l technology award
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Japan to build deep sea water project in Indonesia
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Russia yet to agree on Sukhoi SU-35 price
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook
- Zuckerberg offers Indonesia Internet connection in remote areas