Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Obama's Childhood Revisited
JAKARTA: Democrat Barack Obama was elected the 44th US president in Tuesday's presidential election.
While the election was participated solely by American citizens, most Indonesians have given Obama huge moral support and are looking to the first African-American president-elect with superfluous confidence and faith.
Obama received his education at Sekolah Dasar Negeri Menteng 01 for primary three and four before leaving for his native Hawaii, spending those two childhood years in Indonesia with his mother, stepfather and half-sister.
School principal Kuswadijanto told Harian Indonesia that Obama studied in primary three in that school way back in 1970, and later proceeded to primary four. He said the school was still not air-conditioned at that time.
Kuswadijanto said the school was under principal Samingatun binti Hardjodarson when Obama was studying there, adding that the female principal had died years ago, otherwise she would be able to offer more details on Obama's school days.
"Most of the teachers teaching this boy, who will very likely become the leader of the world's most powerful nation, have either retired or passed away."
He said all that he knew about Obama's primary school days in Indonesia had been told to him by the senior teachers.
The fifth principal of the school, Kuswadijanto said the whole school was confident this outstanding alumnus could eventually win the election. The US embassy in Jakarta recently sent someone to visit the school and promised to make arrangements for Obma to visit the alma mater if he were elected the US president.
"We hope he will win the election. It's going to be a very touching moment if he were to visit his alma mater some day, I was thinking..."
He also said the school had already planned a series of activities to celebrate his election, which he would choose to announce in public at a proper timing later.
"Whether Obama wins the election or not, he is the pride of all Indonesians. Of course, we hope he will make it!"
He said the school had been closely following up the latest developments in the US election, and was especially excited as the clock ticked closer to the election. Kuswadijanto also said the school was delighted to learn that Obama was enjoying a comfortable lead over his opponent John McCain in polls, and was confident he could eventually win the White House race.
Although the two classrooms at Sekolah Dasar Negeri Menteng 01 in which Obama was studying have gone through the merciless natural ageing process, they are still well preseved today. Even the conventional blackboard used during the Dutch colonial times are still in use today!
The so-called conventional blackboard looks largely the same as the ones commonly used today except that it is only half in length but split into upper and lower halves, allowing the teacher to pull up or down.
Kuswadijanto is very delighted with this conventional blackboard and takes pride in its intact preservation.
The 74-year-old Sekolah Dasar Negeri Menteng 01 was founded in 1934 and has been fully air-conditioned since five years ago. There are currently 24 teachers and five non-teaching staff at the school, while its 463 students are placed in 13 classes.
Kuswadijanto said the primary three and four classrooms where Obama pursued his education have not experienced major changes except that the original five foot tall wall was later built higher because of air-conditioning. (Translated by DOMINIC LOH/Harian Indonesia)
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook