The country's largest defense exhibition kicked off Wednesday, with officials expecting the event to boost the national arms industry.
Vice President Jusuf Kalla said upon opening the 2008 Indo Defense and Indo Aerospace Expo and Forum at Halim Perdanakusuma airport in East Jakarta the biennial event was key to strengthening international cooperation for developing defense technology.
"The defense sector is very much related to technology and the fast pace of technological development in the world," he said.
"It is important for us to follow and understand each countries' developments."
Also attending the opening ceremony were Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Widodo Adi Sucipto, Defense Minister Juwono Sudarsono, Industry Minister Fahmi Idris, Indonesia Military (TNI) chief Gen. Djoko Santoso and dozens of Indonesian and foreign military delegates.
Juwono said the exhibition evidenced the resurrection of the national defense industry.
"The exhibition is expected to serve as a driving force behind the development of our defense industry," he said.
The Indonesian Military remains largely dependent on foreign weapons suppliers, although the national defense industry has posted increased growth of late.
Enlivening the event's opening ceremony was an air display involving three Indonesian Air Force F-5E Tiger jet fighters, which performed a low pass and a high risk "bomb burst" maneuver.
There was also a demonstration of Indonesian armored personnel carriers (APC) manufactured by state arms maker PT Pindad.
The government has pledged to buy 150 units of the 6X6 APC medium personnel transport.
Kalla expressed interest in some foreign-made aeronautical and naval hardware while touring the exhibition's makeshift halls, which have been built onto the apron of the main airport building.
The Vice President also visited the pavilions of several state-owned strategic industries, including PT Pindad's and ship builder PT PAL's, which are exhibiting their latest products.
Later in the afternoon, Juwono received a number of courtesy calls from various delegations, including deputy defense ministers from Bulgaria, Czech Republic, the Netherlands and South Africa; the Timor Leste defense secretary and a number of foreign military officials, including from Malaysia, Singapore and South Korea.
The biennial event traditionally takes place at Kemayoran Fairground, before moving to the airport for the aerospace expo, which was introduced last year.
The maiden and second expos, held in 2004 and 2006, only featured the Indo Defense Expo and Forum.
A seminar themed "Defense Technology Capabilities and Improving the Role of National Air Transportation" will be held Thursday.
The seminar, which will be held at the Persada Executive Club in Halim, is scheduled to be opened by TNI chief Gen. Djoko Santoso. Juwono. Transportation Minister Djusman Syafii Djamal will present the keynote speech at the discussion.
The expo will open to the public Saturday, with an entry fee of Rp 100,000 (US$8.33)
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook