Supreme Audit Agency (BPK) chairman Anwar Nasution was implicated Wednesday in the illegal disbursement of Bank Indonesia money by former legislators Hamka Yandhu and Anthony Zeidra Abidin, who are on trial for their roles in the case.
"Anthony came to my BPK office twice on Dec. 8, 2006 and Dec. 15, 2006," Anwar said during a session of Anthony and Hamka's trial at the Corruption Court.
During their first meeting, Anwar said, Anthony had seemed upset because he had been summoned for questioning by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) in connection with the distribution of Rp 31.5 billion (US$2.6 million) from the central bank.
The money was distributed to members of House of Representatives Commission IX overseeing financial and banking issues so they would accelerate an amendment to the BI law and approve the settlement of an earlier central bank corruption scandal.
"He (Anthony) asked me why it had only been his name written in the summons and the letter had made him feel insecure in his role as Jambi deputy governor," Anwar said.
During the second meeting, Anwar said, Anthony had accused him of personally intervening in a BPK audit of Rp 100 billion disbursed from the central bank, Rp 31.5 billion of which was allocated for legislators.
"He thought that I had a motive of revenge behind the audit because members of Commission IX did not vote for me for the BI governor position," said Anwar, who is a former deputy senior central bank chief.
He said the audit was purely a BPK matter and that he had never intervened in the process.
Anwar said Anthony had also accused him of being "indecisive" in relation to the scandal.
The BPK chief was among the signatories of a decree issued in 2003 by the BI board of governors to endorse the disbursement of Rp 100 billion, but he denied any wrongdoing in the case.
Anwar said he could not accept such an accusation because during a BI board of governors meeting on July 22, 2003, the only board meeting he attended, he rejected the idea of establishing the Social and Community Development Committee, which would be tasked with distributing the funds.
"I said I didn't know about the purpose of the establishment of the committee, while the disbursement of the money had no legal basis," Anwar said.
Anthony's lawyer, Maqdir Ismail, then proposed the panel of justices listen to a recorded conversation between Anthony and Anwar that had taken place during the second meeting, which he claimed countered Anwar's argument.
However, the quality of the recording was poor, and nothing could be made of it.
While the tape was playing, Anwar made notes on paper in front of him and appeared relaxed.
Maqdir later proposed the tape be replayed, but the notion was rejected by presiding justice Masrudin Chaniago, who said he could not even recognize the voices on the tape.
Former Commission IX members Darsup Yusuf and Dudhie Makmun Murod admitted in the same trial they had received payments from Hamka Yandhu, but claimed the money had not been ill-gotten.
Darsup said the Rp 250 million he had received was just a "gift" from Hamka, whom he knew as a successful businessman, while Dudhie denied any links to the BI scandal.
- 000 child sex victims: Activists
- 10 Hal Unik di Dunia Politik Indonesia
- 18 Santri Kesurupan Together
- Abu Sayyaf shooting victim still unstable in Tawau
- Aburizal to sue
- Ada Polwan Cantik Ditugaskan di Jalan Penghibur
- Albertina Fransisca Mailoa
- and History Of Sriwijaya Kingdom
- Arema Losing Of Serge when Visiting to Persib
- Artis Indonesia
- at Barack Obamas old elementary school in Indonesia
- Bali Will Not Execute
- bambo curtain country
- beauty horor
- best player
- BPK chief defends stance in BI case
- BT Gambles in Sultan Hotel
- Bule Amerika Ngutil Celana di Ubud Kejar-kejaran dengan Warga
- By The Way: Porn bill fuel for a modern-day witch hunt
- Cara Mengatasi Diabetes
- cheered and danced
- Dian Sastro
- Dijuluki Sarang Kelamin
- Dukungan Ahok-Heru Bermeterai per Kelurahan
- Fakta Mengharukan di Balik Bocah Tergemuk di Dunia Asal Karawang
- False of Diploma Case Sukmawati
- Film Indonesia
- Fish Patin weight 43 Kgs
- for film mankind
- Gegana Bomb Comb in Theology College Jakarta
- Gejala Stroke dan Cara Pencegahannya
- Going up in smoke: Raids begin
- Heboh! Kakek 63 Tahun Nikahi Gadis Cantik
- highest appreciation
- His name etched in history as America's first black president
- horor queen
- House Roger Danuarta Sold
- Hundreds of students
- in Fatherland
- in Musi River
- Indonesia affirms death penalty as a state`s sovereignity
- Indonesia Film Festival
- Indonesia to export rice next year: FM
- Indonesia turism Princes 2008
- Indonesia urges UN Security Council to end israeli occupation
- Inilah Kreasi Ampas Kopi Karya Pemuda Bandung yang Mendunia
- Is catched
- Jakarta to implement business retribution holiday
- Kalla expects RI to benefit from world defense expo
- Kartika Putri hingga Anak Mendagri
- KEEP ON FIGHTING PORN BILL
- Lihat tuh Dekapannya
- Man arrested for illegal kerosene
- mystical power athletics teacher PROFESSOR Cakra Murti
- New look for old markets: Clean
- not panic
- Nusa Penida: A sanctuary for the endangered Bali Starling
- Obama's Childhood Revisited
- Pakai Baju Turn Back Crime
- Pantai di Sumba ini Tembus di Daftar 20 Pantai Terindah di Dunia
- Perseteruan Kakak dan Adik Berujung Rusaknya Mobil Warga
- Pertama di Asia Tenggara! Makan di Resto dalam Bus Sambil Keliling Bandung
- Pesawat Carteran Rp 288 Juta Bawa Samadikun Terbang Empat Jam dari Shanghai-Jakarta
- Polisi Buru PSK dan Waria di Semak-semak Kawasan Denpasar Barat Ini
- Pornography Law
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono does meeting with former Japan Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- presidential candidate
- Pria Terlapor Penganiayaan: Itu Permainan Tamara Bleszynski untuk Popularitas
- Prince autopsy planned for today
- prostitusi through internet
- pupils that is is not fainted lingers on in field
- Rihanna cancels concert over security fears
- Second wife of famous dai of that AA Gym
- Sheila Law Conference
- shiny -- and empty
- smoker amounts in Jakarta
- still trusting The Minister of Finance
- Teman Ahok: Ikuti Aturan KPU
- Two Indonesians sentenced to death in Malaysia
- Victory of Barack Obama
- Wanita Ini Ditangkap Karena Mengaku Polwan
- Was Sue of Ria Irawan
- Wisata Area
- Woman of smoker reachs eight percentage of the active
- WORLD SOCCER PICTURE
- Yusril off the hook